Top 5 Books Read in 2014

18:13

Happy New Year!

As I mentioned in a previous post, 2014 was a big reading year for me - the year I fully got into reading. It was very hard to decide which books to include, and what order to put them in, but here are my top 5 books I read in 2014:

5. Solitaire by Alice Oseman


I have chosen Solitaire because it was a very interesting read, and was different to others I have read before. The characters were very loveable - I really cared about them, and wanted to know more of their story. They were also really relatable - I could really relate to the main character, Tori, because she was grumpy and preferred to be on her own, which is definitely me at times!

I have also chosen Solitaire as one of my favourite reads because the author really understood (that might be because she's only 20!) her readers - the book mentioned lots of things I am interested in, which made me want to read on too. Another reason why I really enjoyed this book was because it had some plot twists I wasn't expecting - usually in books like this I can predict the whole plot, but some parts of this book kept me guessing, which I liked. This book had action, but it wasn't too gory (although sometimes I do like a gory book), so it was an easy, pleasant read. It was just a really cute book!

4. Finale (part of the Hush, Hush series) by Becca Fitzpatrick

I have chosen Finale because it was a really exciting and tense end to a series I loved. I was 'on the edge of my seat' throughout the whole book, because it was full of unexpected plot twists. I was kept guessing, and it was only some of the twists in the book that I guessed correctly. Though, there were so many turns in the book that it didn't matter if I knew one, because soon enough I was on to the next!

Another reason I enjoyed Finale so much was because I really cared about the characters. Even though I hated the main character, Nora, I cared about her, and I cared about the other characters, which meant I was never really bored, and wanted to continue reading the book. Also, I really shipped the main couple (?) in it a lot, so I enjoyed the romance part to the book too. I have also chosen Finale as one of my favourite reads this year because it had a happy ending - although it was compromised, I felt it did the book justice. Becca Fitzpatrick wrapped the book up nicely, and I believe it was an appropriate way to finish the series.

3. City of Heavenly Fire (part of The Mortal Instruments) by Cassandra Clare - possible spoilers below -

I have chosen this book to be on my list because it had everything I look for in a book in it. Cassandra Clare is one of my favourite authors, so I had high expectations for this book, but it did not disappoint. It was was exciting and tense - there was so much going on I was literally gripping the book, and it had so many unexpected plot twists that I didn't guess. It also had intense battle scenes and fighting which I loved.

Another reason I have chosen City of Heavenly Fire is because it had so many amazing scenes for my favourite characters. Everything came together (Malec!) and it turned out, in the least okay-ish for everyone I wanted it to (Sizzy!). As I read all the books in one go, I really saw the characters change throughout the series, and this book saw them fully develop - especially my favourite character Alec - I really saw him change, especially in this book (the pie scene!).

I also enjoyed this book because it was a satisfying ending. I feel like the ending wasn't rushed, yet didn't drag out. I liked the epilogue, and I liked the fact the book was so long, because it meant more of it!

2. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

I have chosen Fangirl to be on my list, mainly because it was so relatable. I could really relate to the main character, Cath, which meant I really cared about the characters, and wanted to read on about them. I also liked Fangirl because it was an easy read - there was no massive problems, no death, and no violence, which meant I could just breeze through it. But, it wasn't boring at all. I was still excited to read it when I put it down, and I was still gripped throughout the book.

Another reason I enjoyed Fangirl so much was because it had a really good ending, that wasn't rushed, and wasn't dragged out too much. I thought that Rainbow Rowell wrapped the book up nicely, and it was a satisfying ending. The characters got everything they deserved, and it didn't leave me at any loose ends, so it was all good!

1. The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

I enjoyed this book so much to put it as my favourite book of 2014 because it was so interesting and had me so gripped throughout the whole book. The characters were really well developed, and developed through the book, so they felt so real, and I really enjoyed reading about them. I could also really relate to the main character Charlie - he was not very good at being social, and just trying to find way in life.

Another reason I have chosen The Perks of Being a Wallflower to be my favourite book of 2014 is because it was so interesting. It was different to the things I have read before, and the style was so unique, meaning I wasn't bored with it. The book was short, which I liked, because it was just the right length - I feel if it was any longer it would have dragged. It was just such a cute book, and I loved everything about it!


What are your favourite reads from 2014? Tell me in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥