Review: A Thousand Pieces of You

18:32

A Thousand Pieces of You
By Claudia Gray

Genres: Young Adult, Science Fiction, Romance, Mystery, 
Page count: 368

Goodreads Synopsis:

Marguerite Caine’s physicist parents are known for their radical scientific achievements. Their most astonishing invention: the Firebird, which allows users to jump into parallel universes, some vastly altered from our own. But when Marguerite’s father is murdered, the killer—her parent’s handsome and enigmatic assistant Paul—escapes into another dimension before the law can touch him.

Marguerite can’t let the man who destroyed her family go free, and she races after Paul through different universes, where their lives entangle in increasingly familiar ways. With each encounter she begins to question Paul’s guilt—and her own heart. Soon she discovers the truth behind her father’s death is more sinister than she ever could have imagined.

A Thousand Pieces of You explores a reality where we witness the countless other lives we might lead in an amazingly intricate multiverse, and ask whether, amid infinite possibilities, one love can endure.


My Review:


The concept of this book was so cool. A book with a stunning cover and about time-travel? What's not to love! So, I bought the book. I don't regret it (because that cover just looks so pretty on my shelf I just don't even care!), but I wish I didn't buy it in such a rush, or maybe bought some other books instead.


The plot of this book was quite bad. I loved the bit about dimension-hopping, but it had too much romance and not enough dimension-travel. Nothing much happened - at the end it tried to be dystopian, but it didn't really work that well. I was pretty bored on all the romance bits, and this book would have been a much higher rating if there was less romance.


I hated the love triangle. She was in love with the wrong guy (in my opinion), which made me hate all of the romance - I really didn't ship them at all, so I was just rolling my eyes, and trying not to skim over them, which I did end up doing. They fell in ‘love’ too quickly for me - I would have liked them to get to know each other more before they slept together!


Marguerite annoyed me quite a lot. She didn't realise things that I got really quickly, and was really shallow. All her decisions were not thought through - if she thought about what she was going to do more, the story would have gone a whole different way.

Overall, I enjoyed this book because it was so original, but I would have enjoyed the book much more if there was less romance.


My reaction:



Rating:


Favourite Quotes:

“Every form of art is another way of seeing the world. Another perspective, another window. And science –that’s the most spectacular window of all. You can see the entire universe from there.” 

"We look into each other's eyes, and I feel something I've only ever felt once before - this dizzying sense like being at the edge of a cliff, both scared to death and yet feeling this inexplicable, insane urge to fling yourself into the sky"




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥