Review: Crown of Midnight (Throne of Glass #2)

16:31

Crown of Midnight
By Sarah J. Maas

Source: Physical copy, paperback
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance, 

Goodreads Synopsis:


"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.

It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.


Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.


Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.


My Review:


Gosh this book was amazing! It was really fast-paced, the plot was consistently amazing, and everything linked together so cleverly at the end. I enjoyed it so much - Sarah J. Maas is such an amazing author, I don't think she's actually capable of writing a bad book.


Celaena is such an amazing heroine - she is so strong minded and tough, seemingly perfect, but she is flawed, making me care about her even more. She's the perfect example of a female protagonist - pushes around all the idiot men, and saves the day! She manages to save everyone, herself, and even her dog (which is just a great addition to the book - who doesn't love a cute dog?), yet is still really powerful and badass.


My only complaint about this book (yeah, I know, I can't write an entirely good review for a book...) is that in some places it dragged. Most of the time, I was completely hooked, but sometimes I got a bit bored, and the story seemed to be taking too long. Was that just me? It might have been because people were interrupting me, but at times it felt too heavy, and I just had to put the book down. It took me a while to read because of this, but that didn't really matter because it meant I could savour it. 


The ending to this book was just... it really blew me away! I literally finished this book with my mouth open, it left me on such a cliff-hanger, and I really needed to know what happened next. I can't believe Sarah J. Maas ending it like that! But, luckily, I bought the book the next day (today as I'm writing this), so I can't wait to start it. The general ending was fantastic - everything linked together, and most of my questions were answered (though not enough to stop me from buying the next book even though I have around 10 books to read!), so it was rounded off well.


Rating:


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. :D
    :D
    :D
    You put my favorite quote in there, the one about Chaol being her home <3! In the first book I was more of a Dorian fan, still am but I'm starting to love Chaol a bit more.
    THE ENDING! OH MY GOSH THE ENDING! I am so with you on that.
    I felt like the book did drag on as well, but I loved in nonetheless. Her dog is adorable. :)
    Nice review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for reading and commenting! I was a Dorian fan in the first one too, but in that we didn't really get to know Chaol that well. CoM has really made me respect Dorian because he just let Celaena and Chaol be, even though he loved her. That broke my heart!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥