Review: Heir of Fire (Throne of Glass #3)

19:38

Throne of Glass
By Sarah J. Maas

Source: Personal purchase, paperback
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Adventure, 

Goodreads Synopsis:

Consumed by guilt and rage, Celaena can't bring herself to spill blood for the King of Adarlan. She must fight back...

The Immortal Queen will help her destroy the king - for a price. But as Celaena battles with her darkest memories and her heart breaks for a love that could never last, can she fulfil the bargain and head the almighty court of Terrasen? And who will stand with her?



My Review:

Holy cow this book was awesome! I really enjoyed it, and in my opinion, was definitely the best in the series. Actually, this series just gets better and better, which makes me super excited for Queen of Shadows (hurry up September...!). 

The plot in this book was so good. It had so many twists and turns, and it's so original - I have never read anything like it before, and it really blew me away. I know the words of this book are going to stick with me forever. 

Like most books, this was slow to start with. I think I was just in the wrong mood (I was really tired when I first came to read this), but it still made me a bit bored at the start. Though that soon went away - Sarah J. Maas' writing is so beautiful - it really captivates me, and the description makes the world seem to real

The climax of the book was built up to well (there is a battle at the end), and everything linked together well. I was really hooked at the end (like always with Sarah J. Maas' books), and I actually got up really early to finish this (I do not regret my decision. Although I was exhausted at school all day, I just had to find out what happened. The only downside was that all my friends got annoyed at me for being to emotional after this book...). You know an author is good when you miss sleep to read their books!

Celaena was still as amazing as in the previous books. This book, she did have a little bit too much self-pity, but she was still grieving, so that was to be expected, and just made her seem more real and human. She again saved the day and everyone else, yet still juggled all these emotions and events occurring in her life too. Why can't everyone just be as bad-ass as Celaena?

In this book the series significantly developed a lot, so new characters were to be expected. I didn't really like reading about Manon Blackbeak because I didn't really know her - at the start it just seemed pointless, and bored me, but as I got nearer the end of the book I cared about her a bit more. In my view, some of her POVs were unnecessary and could have been cut down on a bit, but she did develop into a much better character. And you know how I feel about character development...


 

In Crown of Midnight, I really liked Chaol, but in this book I went off him a bit. I felt that he was clinging to the past too much, when Celaena had already moved on much further from that. He was a bit annoying, and didn't really do much to the story, apart from clog it up. Overall, I would have been much happier if there was less of him in the book.

Sorscha was another really irritating addition. She just got too fangirly over Dorian (who just needs to get with Celaena, and anyone who stands in his was I dislike), which was just unnecessary. Seriously people, it's destiny - stop standing in their way!

So many new ships developed for me in this book. I am still a true shipper of Celaena and Dorian, and I used to ship Celaena and Chaol too, but now I really don't - Celaena is way too good for Chaol. I really ship Rowan and Celaena as friends - they just bounce off each-other so well! I'm really glad Sarah J. Maas didn't try to make them romantic together, because I know some other authors would have, and it would have been wrong on so many levels. 

On the subject of BROTPs, Chaol and Dorian were really cute together too. When Chaol said "I love you" to Dorian, that was so cute! They are such good friends, and it's really nice to read about. 

It was also really cute in the bit where Aelin, Dorian and Aedion were small. I know it wasn't intended to be cute, but it really was, and I just really loved it. Celaena and Dorian were meant to be from when they were 10 - it's destiny. 

Overall, this series has made me a true lover of fantasy. I am really looking forward to reading more of Sarah J. Maas in the future (hurry up May with A Court of Thorns and Roses!), and September just cannot come fast enough for the next book in this series, which has become a new favourite of mine.

Rating: 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥