Review: Don't Look Back

17:21

Don't Look Back
By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Source: Gift, e-book
Genre: Young Adult, Mystery, Thriller, Suspense, Romance

Goodreads Synopsis:
Samantha is a stranger in her own life. Until the night she disappeared with her best friend, Cassie, everyone said Sam had it all-popularity, wealth, and a dream boyfriend. 
Sam has resurfaced, but she has no recollection of who she was or what happened to her that night. As she tries to piece together her life from before, she realizes it's one she no longer wants any part of. The old Sam took "mean girl" to a whole new level, and it's clear she and Cassie were more like best enemies. Sam is pretty sure that losing her memories is like winning the lottery. She's getting a second chance at being a better daughter, sister, and friend, and she's falling hard for Carson Ortiz, a boy who has always looked out for her-even if the old Sam treated him like trash. 
But Cassie is still missing, and the facts about what happened to her that night isn't just buried deep inside of Sam's memory-someone else knows, someone who wants to make sure Sam stays quiet. All Sam wants is the truth, and if she can unlock her clouded memories of that fateful night, she can finally move on. But what if not remembering is the only thing keeping Sam alive?


I’ve heard so many great things about Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing, so I knew that I definitely had to read one of her books soon. I’m really glad this was my first because I really enjoyed it as it was really well written, and I was hooked until the very last page. I know it definitely won’t be the last book I read by her!


The thing I enjoyed the most was the mystery. For the whole book I was left wanting more, so for the whole story I was gripped. Although the plot and concept wasn’t the most original, Armentrout made it her own so I didn’t just feel it was a copy of other mystery thriller books. I was really invested in the story because it was so exciting.


My least favourite element was the romance. It was really cringey, and I would have much preferred it if there were more clues and less kissing. Also, Sam - the protagonist - was quite irritating at times. She always missed see the obvious, and made ridiculous decisions. Her choices definitely made me cringe at times!


The ending was really good. I didn’t see it coming, it made sense, and gave me closure. I was really impressed with how well Jennifer L. Armentrout rounded everything off and the last chapter finished everything nicely. The last part of the book was much better than the others because much more happened (nothing really happened for the majority of the story!), and most of the book was quite predictable.

Overall, this was an amazing book. It was really quick, and made me want to read on - I read it in under a day! I would recommend it to fans of the Mara Dyer Trilogy, Pretty Little Liars (I haven’t read the books, but it reminded me of the TV series), or Silence (Hush Hush #3).


My reaction:



Rating: 


You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Really want to read this book! I feel like Jennifer L Armentrout is one of those authors everyone is talking about but I haven't gotten on that bandwagon! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I feel like that too - after going on her Goodreads profile, I've found out that she's written LOADS of stuff (over 50, but under different names) and I've only read one! I do hope to read more of her because she is really good :)

      Thanks for the comment too!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥