Review: Obsidian

21:26

**This review contains spoilers. They will be hidden by a highlight, so you can still read a non-spoiler review**

Obsidian
By Jennifer L. Armentrout

Source: E-book gift
Page count: 335
Genres: Young Adult, Romance, Fantasy, Paranormal,

Goodreads Synopsis:

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I’d pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring… until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something… unexpected happens. 

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon’s touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I’m getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 

If I don’t kill him first, that is.


My review:


The cover of this book is disgusting, and I hated the actual book so much. So if you get easily offended by people being rude towards your favourite book (because I know this is a lot of people’s favourite), don’t read on. I will be doing a lot of hating!



My main problem with this book (along with all of the others) was the characters. Katy was okay, yet sometimes too cliche, and made a lot of stupid decisions. The side characters were irritating too. They added nothing to the story, just made me roll my eyes all the time!


Daemon was by far my worst character. He was so controlling and arrogant all the time, I despise characters like that, so instantly I hated him, and my decision didn’t change throughout the whole book. He changed a bit and maybe became slightly more decent to Katy, but I still had no respect for him. He walked around like he was so great, yet we all knew that everyone in the book hated him. Just because he’s “good looking” doesn’t make him swoon-worthy! Looks aren’t everything! Maybe in the next book he gets better...



The plot was also ridiculous. Nothing happened! Although it was fast paced and was relentlessly readable, there was no goal. We discovered things (I won’t spoil it, but the foreshadowing is so obvious (there’s a thing called subtlety!)) that we can guess the plot from the very beginning (and turns out I was right - again). There was no plot for the entire book. I felt like there were little bits of action scenes, but they were pointless. It was too character driven because we were meant to care about them, and I really did not.


Spoilers - highlight to see (sorry, I haven’t worked out HTML yet!)


I hated the ending with a burning passion. Katy had said no, yet Daemon still persisted that she was attracted to him (when she denied it multiple times). He needs to understand that no means no. This is not attractive, or something that we should be teaching is ‘hot’ in a guy. It is abuse and not attractive, or something to swoon over.


Another major problem that I had was the way Daemon was so indecisive. At one point, he behavior towards Katy was appalling (we was really rude), and the next he was really ‘sweet’. Sometimes, he wanted nothing to do with Katy, and then the next chapter he was too overprotective.


Like when Katy went to the dance with Simon. He was horrified with Simon so touching Katy when she had told him not too, yet he did the same thing at the end of the book! She had specifically told him that she didn’t want to go out with him, yet he continued to push her until she said yes. Just respect her decisions!

Overall, this book was a total flop. The love interest was vile, and the characters lacked personality and originality. The plot was boring and practically non-existent, and although was mainly well paced, it had its slow moments. The foreshadowing was terrible, and the whole concept lacked something special. At many moments it reminded me of Twilight, so if you enjoyed that I’d recommend this book (although really, I don’t recommend this book to anyone). I know I definitely won’t be reading the rest of the series!


My rating:



You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Yikes! Sorry to hear you didn't like this one! Regardless, nice review. I hope your next read goes a lot better! :D

    Sophie @ Seamless Reader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I'm reading Finding Audrey next, so hopefully I'll really enjoy it! :)

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥