Review: Landline

17:25

Landline
By Rainbow Rowell

Source: Personal purchase, paperback
Genres: Adult, Romance, Contemporary, 

Goodreads Synopsis:

Georgie McCool knows her marriage is in trouble. That it’s been in trouble for a long time. She still loves her husband, Neal, and Neal still loves her, deeply — but that almost seems besides the point now.

Maybe that was always besides the point.

Two days before they’re supposed to visit Neal’s family in Omaha for Christmas, Georgie tells Neal that she can’t go. She’s a TV writer, and something’s come up on her show; she has to stay in Los Angeles. She knows that Neal will be upset with her — Neal is always a little upset with Georgie — but she doesn’t expect to him to pack up the kids and go home without her.

When her husband and the kids leave for the airport, Georgie wonders if she’s finally done it. If she’s ruined everything.

That night, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It’s not time travel, not exactly, but she feels like she’s been given an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts . . .

Is that what she’s supposed to do?

Or would Georgie and Neal be better off if their marriage never happened?


My review:

Rainbow Rowell is one of my favourite authors, so I knew I was going to absolutely adore this book. The cover is so cute and the concept seems right up my street, so I was saving this for when I really needed it. Though reading this during school, I enjoyed it so much! There were ups and downs (some points I thought I was about to properly cry!), but I finished this smiling and feeling so happy. I’d definitely recommend to everybody!

The characters were all so likeable. I think this really made the book for me because of how invested I was in everything. I cared about Georgie and Neal’s relationship (which is unusual for me - normally I’m not a huge fan of books completely centered around romance), so wanted to read on to find out what was going to happen.

I adored every single side character too. There was no real ‘baddie’ in the book, so everyone was written to be likeable; obviously, I loved everyone. I was laughing so much at the banter between Georgie and Seth - their friendship was perfect and just so real. My favourite side character was (probably) Heather because she had so much depth. She was in so many great scenes, and I loved reading about her so much. I would definitely want to read a novella based on this.

In contemporaries, I usually find that there isn’t much going on, and sometimes complain of a lack of plot. This completely wasn’t the case with Landline - my emotions were being ripped to shreds so often, and in every chapter there was another heart-wrenching scene. Things were happening all the time so I never felt bored, and it was the perfect length (if even a bit short) for me to be gripped for the whole book.

The ending was perfect. Even though some people might find it a little predictable, I didn’t think this at all. I’ve read all of Rowell’s other books, so I knew how different her endings can be from each other. I really didn’t know what was going to happen, but things ended up the way I wanted them to. I was really satisfied with what happened, and I think the ending gave us full closure. I miss the characters, but everything was resolved perfectly.

This is one I’d really recommend; if you’ve read Rainbow’s other books, I think you will love this one too, but if you’ve never read a Rainbow Rowell book before (what have you been doing with your life?!), I know you’ll adore this. I’d recommend to fans of easy romance and feel good contemporaries, but also, I think this would make a great book to read at Christmas time. I read this in the autumn, so it was quite seasonal, but it’s set in the days around Christmas, so it might be a nice one to save. Though, I know I would have loved it all year round!


Rating:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. I'm glad you liked this one! I LOVED it, though not as much as Eleanor and Park (who am I kidding?!) but I don't understand fully why you gave the book 4 on 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, I liked this one much more than EaP (which is my least favourite Rowell book). I gave the book 4 stars because it wasn't as good as the other 5 stars I've given. I enjoyed it a lot, so gave it 4 which is still a good rating for me. It just didn't really blow me away, ad isn't really favourite material. Sorry for not making it clear!

      Thanks for the comment, Aisha ♥

      Delete
  2. I have a love-hate relationship with Rainbow Rowell. I LOVED Eleanor & Park, but I disliked Fangirl (except for the Simon & Baz snippets). I just want to read Carry On first, than if I liked it I'll try this book. Great review<33

    Tasya @ The Literary Huntress

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's similar with me; I loved Fangirl, Attachments, and Landline, but really didn't like EaP. I think this one is much more similar to EaP than it is to Fangirl, so I'd suggest giving it a go! I'm reading Carry On at the moment, and it's really good so far, so I think you'd enjoy that too :) ♥
      Thanks for the comment!

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥