Review: Daughter of Smoke and Bone

10:49

Daughter of Smoke and Bone
By Laini Taylor

Source: Personal purchase, paperback
Genres: Young Adult, Fantasy, Romance

"Errand requiring immediate attention. Come.

The note was on vellum, pierced by the talons of the almost-crow that delivered it. Karou read the message. 'He never says please', she sighed, but she gathered up her things. When Brimstone called, she always came."


In general, Karou has managed to keep her two lives in balance. On the one hand, she's a seventeen-year-old art student in Prague; on the other, errand-girl to a monstrous creature who is the closest thing she has to family. Raised half in our world, half in 'Elsewhere', she has never understood Brimstone's dark work - buying teeth from hunters and murderers - nor how she came into his keeping. She is a secret even to herself, plagued by the sensation that she isn't whole.

Now the doors to Elsewhere are closing, and Karou must choose between the safety of her human life and the dangers of a war-ravaged world that may hold the answers she has always sought.


I have been saving this book for so long, because I knew that I would love it. I’m so glad I was right. It had me captivated from start to finish - the world and writing was beautiful, and I loved the story too.

Karou - the protagonist - was awesome, and I loved her so much. She was quirky and a bit different to lots of other main characters in YA, so at the start, I was a little bit unsure as to whether I was going to like her. Thankfully, in one of the earlier chapters, she pulled this amazing prank that had me laughing so much! I knew I was going to love her from then on. ☺

I was a little bit worried I was going to find this confusing, but that definitely wasn't the case at all. I thought that the author handled the complex world really well, because we were introduced gradually. Karou leads a human life as well as a magical/fantasy life, so it never got too complex. At the start, I wasn’t confused, and there was no info-dump. We were slowly introduced to the magical world, and it was written with such skill.

Another thing I really liked about this book is the romance. Usually - in fantasy books, especially - I don’t like the romance, and wish it would be left out, but that certainly wasn’t the case for this one! It was a real slow-burn, and was written so beautifully. It was heart-breaking, and done so well. It didn’t distract from the plot, but was just enough to keep me satisfied.

Overall, I really liked this book! It ticked all the boxes for me, and I’ve already bought the rest of the series, so I can carry on soon. I think it will only get better, and this seems like exactly my kind of thing - I’d highly recommend to everyone!



You Might Also Like

18 comments

  1. I'm glad you liked it! I was never that interested in the book, but now I really want to get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure it would be for everyone, but I definitely loved it. I hope you get to it, because I'd highly recommend! :D

      Delete
  2. Great review! I still have this book on my tbr, everyone says it's a fabulous book! Thanks for sharing, Denise. Have a great day!

    anna | annaish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hope you get to it - it's truly a great book. Thanks, you too! ♥

      Delete
  3. I loved this series! It was very unique, and I loved how it was set in Prague. I found everything to be perfect, from the characters to the romance to the world to the plot. Can't wait for you to read to next books!

    Erika @ Books, Stars, and the Pages in Between

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The setting was beautiful! I loved how detailed it was - the perfect winter read for me. Thanks - me too! I've already bought them so I can read them soon :)

      Delete
  4. I completely agree 100% Denise! The writing was absolutely exquisite and Karou was such an amazing and fierce heroine. So glad you liked it too! :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! ♥

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read on! I think Karou will only get even more badass! Thank you so much, Zoe ♥

      Delete
  5. I loved reading this book! Karou was a really interesting character imo, and yess the romance was fantastic! I also especially loved how everything made sense in the end, and came to a full circle!
    Geraldine @ Corralling Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - the ending was really complex, but I definitely didn't see it coming! I liked how everything was kind of rounded off, but I'm still really excited to read on. Thanks, Geraldine! :)

      Delete
  6. I sooo love this one too!! GAH I ADORED IT. I threw me a little because I had no idea it was going to be an angel story?! But honestly, I loved that about it. And all the monsters and mythology AND THAT DELICIOUSLY GORGEOUS SETTING. <3 Icannot get enough of Laini Taylor's style. :D

    Thanks for stopping by @ Paper Fury!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah same here!! It didn't say anything about angels on the back, but I'm kind of glad, because it made the plot twists more of a surprise! I love angels too, so I'm not complaining, haha :D

      Thanks, Cait! ♥

      Delete
  7. I'm so glad to see you like this book! It's one of my favorite series! Great review!

    Carrie @The Book Goddess

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've heard quite a bit about this book - I think I know it under a different cover although that doesn't really mean anything. I think I own book two in the series but not this one, which is something I need to fix as soon as possible so I can dive into this wonderful world and plot for myself! Also, I know this might sound a bit odd, but I love scrolling down on your blog. It moves so smoothly and nicely xD Just felt like saying that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there's a lot of covers for this series... I love them all! I hope you get to it, because it's a beautiful book, and I hope the rest of the series is just as lovely.

      That's not weird! Thank you so much! I actually made this scrolling a few days ago, so I'm glad you like it! I've seen it on a few blogs, and really wanted it for my own ♥

      Delete
  9. I am been so curious about this series and thanks to your review I am FINALLY going to read it :D
    I love characters that are different to the usual YA MC's, it's makes it so much more interesting.
    A slow burn romance you say? Oh yes yes yes, they are my favourite, I can't wait to see what you think of the next books, I hope they get better!
    Fantastic review Denise, I can't wait to read this book now <3

    Cody @ Literary-ly Obsessed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hope you do! Karou does make this book so much more interesting, and the slow burn is fantastic. Thank you so much! I can't wait to read them either ☺

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥