Popular Books I Don't Want to Read

07:30

Hype can be a good thing in the book blogging community, or it can be really off-putting for *poor souls* like me, who just don’t want to read some books! It can be scary to not like a book, but something that can be even scarier is outright saying: "I don't want to read this!". So, here are the books I just don’t want to read anymore: **Sorry if I offend you, or your favourite book! These are just my opinions... it doesn't mean they're the right ideas!**

The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer
There’s been so much love for these books going around recently, it’s been almost impossible for me to hide away from them. It seems like everyone has read them, and everyone has loved them! I’m not a huge fan of retellings as it is, and there’s just something about them is a real turn-off. Not to mention those ugly (!!) covers.

A few years ago, I attempted to read the first, but I got about 50 pages in and had to put it down. I think I might have enjoyed them if I'd managed to persevere more, but now, they don't appeal to me at all. If a film is made, I might give that a go though!

Love Letters to the Dead
Again, this sounds awfully dull, dreary, and cliched. I honestly don’t think there’s any element of this book that makes me want to read it. I don’t think I would be able to stand the protagonist for a whole book, and the plot sounds practically non existent. I understand that some may find this a “beautiful book”, but a lot of reviews I trust haven’t rated this one highly.

Everything Everything
This will probably be a pretty unpopular opinion because it’s a relatively new release, but this book sounds awful (imo), and I know I would hate it. It’s good that it has the racial diversity and mental illness aspects, but that seems to be where the desirable points end (apart from that cover, ahh it’s so beautiful!). The characters and romance sound like they would irritate me, and my sister DNFed it. I do like the look of the illustrations though!

Any more Jennifer L. Armentrout books
I read Don’t Look Back in May (review here), and actually quite enjoyed it, but when I read Obsidian in June, I hated it with every inch of my being (review here), which made me vow to never read one of her books again. By reading the synopses of her other books, they seem to be pretty similar, and carry some of the same messages that I hated in Obsidian. She also seems to be pretty much a paranormal/urban fantasy writer, and I’ve gone off those genres a bit, recently!

The Maze Runner series
I tried to read the first one, but I just couldn’t. I thought it was terribly dull, and got about 70 pages in before I just had to DNF. There’s been so much love for these (what with the film and everything!), but I know they just won’t be for me. I know everything that happens anyway (seriously, what’s with all the spoilers floating around?), so I just think: what would be the point in reading them, for me?

The 5th Wave

This just seems way too confusing! I do love sci-fi and aliens, but I think I wouldn’t like the (apparent) switching of POVs. I’m not too keen on reading it now anyway, because the film’s been released, and I wouldn’t be able to imagine the characters the way I want. (Does anyone else get this?). I might have enjoyed it a few years ago, but I don’t want to read the series now.

Anna and the French Kiss (and companion novels) by Stephanie Perkins
I’ve got nothing against this book, except I just don’t think it will be for me. I think the market for cisgendered m/f romances is much oversaturated, so I don't think this will be interesting to me at all. From what I've seen, it seems pretty generic, but I can see how some will love them! I just don't think I will enjoy this series (I might be a little late to the party too!)

The Harry Potter series by JK Rowling
I’ve read the first Harry Potter book, and I didn’t like it. I started reading the second, and I couldn’t get through it. I’ve seen all the films, and I didn’t really like them either. It’s fair to say this world isn’t for me! Harry Potter is probably the most loved series ever, so I do feel a little bad for saying this... though not really! (Unpopular opinion time) I don’t want to read this series, and I wish everyone would stop talking about them, and assuming that everyone loved the series. I know they just aren't for me!

What are the books you don't want to read? Which popular series didn't you enjoy?

You Might Also Like

12 comments

  1. I also don't plan to read the 5th wave. I'm just so done with dystopian/post-apocalyptic books at this point. And it's okay Denise! As much as I love HP, I have to admit: All the love I have is mostly from the movies, because I grew up watching the movies, and then I read the series! It's fine to have unpopular opinions, they're just so interesting and different! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I still actually really like the genre, but The 5th Wave really doesn't appeal to me. Thanks! It would be pretty boring if everyone thought the same on all books :)

      Delete
  2. Great post, thank you for sharing, and I understand it's sometimes hard to share some unpopular opinions. I feel like everyone is telling me to read the Lunar Chronicles series, and despite it being a bit outside of my comfort zone, I really want to try to see if I might like it. Too bad it wasn't for you. If I don't like it, well I'm glad to know I can turn to you and feel less alone :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yeah, me too - it's just too intimidating! The series is so long (the books are so big), and pretty much everyone loves them. Haha, totally!

      Delete
  3. I just started Everything Everything - I don't know if I like it right now either...it seems a bit fake! But I dunno, I'm gonna wait it out and see :)
    I read Cinder a while back...I remember fangirling a lot about it - but now I don't really remember what happened? xD HAHA my poor memory :S But yeah - totally valid reasons for not reading these books! As always, its up to YOU which books you wanna read - and you should never feel pressured to read a certain book! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be hard to give books a fair chance when there's already so many opinions out there! OMG THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I WOULD DO!! I do this with so many books!! Thank you! Yeah totally, it can be hard when so many people love a book, but we have to read what /we/ want to read ☺

      Delete
  4. So agree with you on the Lunar Chronicles, I couldn't even get through the first book! Love Letters to the Dead was good, but it was awfully sad and dreary like you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad someone out there doesn't adore them!! Yeah, I just don't think it would be for me

      Delete
  5. I 100% agree with you about cis m/f romances. It's so hard to find good books that don't revolve heavily around them, and it's hard for me to be interested in them because there are just so many. I liked The 5th Wave but it was so confusing that by the time I went to read the sequel I could barely remember anything about the first one, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely - it's becoming so boring. I just wish romances like that would be left out! I feel you - I'm like that with so many books!! Recaptians is my best friend :D

      Delete
  6. Oh I hated The Fifth Wave!! I agree there are some popular books that I just won't read. I think we all have them and we all have different tastes. For me the biggest one I refuse to read is Eat, Pray, Love. Just, no.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm an atheist so EPL doesn't really appeal to me either! Yeah I know, it would be so boring if we all just thought the same thing! :D

      Delete

Thanks for commenting! I read and respond to every comment, so make sure to check back to see my reply. Have a nice day! ☺♥